May 1, 2014

Let's Get Wild! - Wild vs Avalanche Round 1 Playoffs


I had my nails painted green on Tuesday. 

I prefer pink, red, purple, occasionally even blue. I've never had green nails before.  I think I may have to keep them green for a while.  I did it for an extra dash of good luck for my favorite hockey team the Minnesota Wild.  

I know, this is a blog that is mostly about books, but I am still on such an adrenaline high from the overtime game last night I couldn't help but do a post about the awesomeness that is The Minnesota Wild!

The Wild just won a hard fought fight.  In a series where Minnesota was the underdog, they made it through a 7 game series and came out victorious on the other side.  

It seemed through the entire series the Wild were playing not only the Colorado Avalanche, but also the refs.  I'm sure there were missed calls both directions at some point, in fact, I'm sure of it. That's the way it is in sports.  However, when calls that are blatantly obvious are not made as they should, it can be very frustrating and brings a whole new level of emotion to the game.

Embedded image permalink
This was a goal that was scored for the Avalanche.  They did NOT call goalie interference although our guy is down, with #11 Jamie McGinn basically pinning our goalie to the post.

I'm not making this post to complain, in fact, I'm going to do quite the opposite!  I want to celebrate!


Here's a little glimpse into what I went through while watching the game last night.


My emotions were running high.  I was on Twitter for most of the game, sharing the ups and downs of the game with many other Minnesota Wild fans. I was continually wondering from goal to goal if we were actually going to win it.  

Colorado would score = Deflated and anxious.  

Minnesota would answer back with a goal = Pure excitement and hope.  

The game progressed much this way, up and down, up and down.  Then with roughly 2 1/2 minutes left in the game, do or die time, defenseman Jared Spurgeon tied it up to take us into overtime.

My heart was beating so fast.  Adrenaline pumping.  Anxiety at level extreme!  

Overtime. 


Staring at another overtime!  


20 minutes to think about it.  
20 minutes to do laundry.  
20 minutes to pace around the house.  
20 minutes to check the Sharks vs Kings game.  

Then it begins again.  
Adrenaline. Anxiety.  Hope.

5:02 into overtime...

The Wild did it!  They won the series!  

I felt like I had witnessed a miracle. 

 I cried.

I cried because I was so happy for this team that has overcome so much this season with 5 different goalies and multiple injuries by key players. 

I feel that as a fan I have been on this ride with the team.  That is the magic of sports.  I don't play, but the team spirit lets us share that excitement and make us feel like we are part of the journey with the team.

What's next for the Wild?  
Round 2 against the Chicago Blackhawks. 

Do I feel like we can win this series?  
Absolutely.  

How will I feel if The Wild actually do win Round 2 against the Blackhawks?
I will feel like I have witnessed another miracle.  

Anything can happen in sports.  The Wild are my team.  I'm with them to the end, win or lose.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I have another nail appointment to make.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I will have to tell you the story of the "Redhawks" sometime! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a Blackhawks fan, but I'm looking forward to a great series. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care what team you like, if you're a fan of hockey that's what matters! Like you, I look forward to a great series. I think it is going to be amazing! Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete